Thread: Sigil v0.1.5
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #65
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
when I finally get up to speed on all of your code, I may try to help out during my free time by submitting bug fix patches for things that are not of immediate importance (i.e minor nits)
Great! If and when you choose to contribute to Sigil's development, I suggest you use the Google Code repository clone feature. You can clone the main Sigil repository right from Google Code, and then push and commit to that repo as you wish. Others will be able to see those changes, and I'll (and everyone else) be able to pull any changesets required or wished at will.

I don't know how much you know about Mercurial DVCS (which Sigil uses), but here's a great place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So for 0.2.0 instead of having users insert their own chapter breaks when loading a large html file, instead show a small "preview" of the book (like a Print Preview mode in Excel where you get to assign page breaks) with auto split points marked ala the above via Tidy and have them okay or move the split points, as the first step.
See, this is where my views differ. To me, Sigil is a WYSIWYG editor. It should never do something you didn't explicitly ask for. A WYSIWYG action along the lines of "detect possible split points" (or whatever) sounds like something potentially useful, but it shouldn't prompt the user for it automatically. It should be triggered directly by the user, on demand.

A lot of this comes from not wishing to blast the user with a large amount of options and configuration when he just wants to get some regular work done. Book Designer is a great example of an application that literally frightens users away with hundreds of buttons and configurations.

But I'm digressing. Discussions like this have literally filled books (those are but a few).

Thanks for your interest in Sigil. As I've said, all help is welcome. Be it suggestions, bug reports or patches (or something different).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote