View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
aleritty
aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
Restore original kindle software (to write a cool HOWTO)

Hi!
I followed a lot of guides here around and I finally turned my kindle 3 WiFi only (broken screen) in a really good webserver with some other functions.

Now I really want to write a guide to permit others to get root and turn their kindle in a webserver, with eventually FTP, port-knocking and all security possible.
I will write a guide especially for people with a broken screen, so they can reuse their kindle!

But to do this I really need to restore the original linux that my kindle had, because in this way I can write step by step everything I did without my trial and error phases.

So, I think that the best way will be download the original firmware and kernel and dd them in the correct places? But for my kindle there is only the / partition image and not /var/local (thus I'm not sure I modificed something inside that).

What is the better and safer way to regain a clean environment to write my guide? Thank you for your help!

Last edited by aleritty; 09-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.
aleritty is offline   Reply With Quote