View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #58
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
regular TFT, which is inferior to the IPS screen on the iPad.
I have looked up IPS. It is just a variation of TFT LCD. The full name would be “In-plane switching Thin film transistor liquid crystal display” (IPS-TFT-LCD).

Like all LCD it is optically passive (it does not emit photons by itself) and need additional light (usually build in). And it is a pretty old technology (1996).

Interestingly enough AMOLED too is a TFT technology. It would be “Thin film transistor organic light-emitting diode” (TFT-OLED) but I guess the manufactures decided against that as it would lead to confusion with the consumer and went for “Active matrix organic light-emitting diode” instead. But AM is only a more general term for TFT (TFT ∈ AM).

So long talk short meaning: The real difference is LCD vs LED no matter how many extra letters you put in front of the name.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote