View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 03:09 AM   #497
jjallenupthehill
Enthusiast
jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
You pick and choose things here and there and then claim that's proof of copying. The size, shape, and arrangement of icons is simply logical with a capacitive touch device that size. I had an iPhone theme on my Palm for awhile, in my opinion the diffferences are not as great as you claim, and certainly those icons are not the great invention you imply them to be.
No it's not. Why that size icon, why that spacing? Why the dock? Why the rounded corners? Why the tile format? While the screen dots? Why the faux iTunes icon? I also had Palm devices (and Handspring and Clie) and virtually all of the icon themes were pictures not tiles.
The point is that there are so many copied items, that it goes beyond mere influence. Just look at the evidence there with the charger, icons, interface, external design. How coincidental that there is simply a case of 'influence' there? I go back to the point I made earlier. The Samsung Galaxy model has so much more in common with the iPhone than it did with its original F700! If it started from the same place with the same design and developed it in isolation, the issue would never have arisen. We might, just might have had a design that was superior to the iPhone.

Quote:
I am not going to sit here and claim that Samsung never copies anything. However I will stand by my statement that Apple has been just as bad if not worse throughout much of their history. Take a look at their notification bar for example. Look at the pending lawsuits agains them for technology infringement.
I would argue that's a different issue. That's endemic across the whole technology industry. It seems that almost everyone is suing everyone for technology infringements of one kind or another. There has never been as large a case of blatant copying.

Quote:
I feel I am being perfectly rational as I will not deny Samsung used Apple for inspiration on many design aspects. However there is a difference between inspiration and design infringement. Where I feel you are not being rational is that you refuse to admit it goes both ways.
No, if you re-read what I wrote, I have accepted that Apple took inspiration from other products. That is natural and acceptable. But when you have 2 products where the similarities are so much more evident than the differences, and across every aspect of the product, that goes beyond 'inspiration'.

I know how inspiration works, but you never, ever take something and copy it so that it looks almost exactly the same. If I did that with a building, I would be sued - no question.