View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #44
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You know, I have always thought that "icon" was an arrogantly self-important choice of names for these things.

I remember taking driver's ed back in the '80, when the public-at-large was not familiar with computer GUI terms.

The teacher asked us what the common name was for the indicator lights on car dashboards, like the little oil lamp and the light bulb symbols. I guessed "icon" since I was a computer geek.
He scoffed and said "An icon is a religious image! The indicators are called 'idiot lights'."

"Icon" vs. "idiot light." There's a political dichotomy for you.

ApK
I wonder if they knew anything about the holy icons. I know that, in recent years, icons have had some bit of popularity outside the Eastern Orthodox, but I doubt that many outside the EO know. I suspect that they were going with the definition of 'icon' as a pictorial representation of something.

As for latest and greatest phones, I'm still rolling with an ancient and crusty Razr flipper.

If Apple dropped prices to decent levels, that would amaze and astonish me. I'd actually look at an iPad. Despite the massive and manifold evils of iTunes.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote