View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #33
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
In these days of limited budgets, libraries need to think hamburger helper and forget the filet mignon.
Park Slope is not a hamburger helper neighborhood.

I have mixed feelings. The picture one gets is of upper class tiger moms and dads channeling their children into a rigorous straight pathway to Harvard, Yale and Princeton. This is not a parenting style my DW and I would have been comfortable with. But, well, that famous tiger mom did get the desired results. Intellectual parents who rigorously limit screen time often raise children who do extremely well in school.

Here's an earlier article with a little more on the class angle:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2012...-young-readers

Quote:
Brooklyn Public Library Director and Chief Librarian Richard Reyes-Gavilan . . . said he's sympathetic to those gripes, because his own 6-year-old daughter "fantasizes" about iPads.

"But those complaints are coming from parents who themselves have a laptop and a desktop and a cell phone," Reyes-Gavilan said.

"We're serving all of Brooklyn's kids — most of whom don't have access to that kind of technology at home."
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote