Thread: New Leaf Themes! Themes! Themes!
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 04:00 AM   #64
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Open to Interpretation and Lost in Translation feel like they have a lot of overlap to me. I like them both but they should probably have a decent amount of separation if we use them both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am fine to make mine more specific in that it should be a matter of translation of some kind of language. IE country to country or earth civilization to an alien one.

Interpretation does not say the same thing to me at all that translation does, though.
In the normal course of reading I would agree that interpretation and translation say different things, but in the context of a theme that people are allowed to stretch and play with, I think Dazrin is right: the two are likely to lead to similar nominations.

We've seen this sort of thing in action already with "It's All Relative, time-ly books" vs "Doomed to Repeat It, History". It wasn't a huge surprise to see books in the first that would have fit well in the second and vice-versa.

But I don't think either needs to be changed, as Dazrin suggested, I think we just be mindful of the possible similarities and use them a few months apart. ... And if that's not convenient we just live with it - the time/history themes didn't seem to slow us down too much.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote