View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
AmOLED is mainly about more saturated colours (phosphors on the electroluminescent dots, they are not "real" LEDs, Sony calls real LED displays 'Crystal') and removing parallax error. LCDs have dye filters on the front glass of the cell, so the contrast, saturation and hue will change with larger viewing angles.
Neither of these issues matter for reading. More important is a non-reflective screen, not glossy. Glossy is cheapest and looks best in shop, illusion of "richer" colour. It's more exhausting to read and a disaster for a screen with reflected movement of people or traffic as the movement unconsciously makes eyes focus on the further away reflected image; you get a headache.

So unless you get non-reflective ambient (or front lit) eInk, LCD (of any current model) vs OLED (of any current model) doesn't matter. The OLED has shorter life than LCD as the blue dots fade and become more violet/UV coloured. That is over maybe five years. I've a 19 year old laptop LCD screen that's still perfect.

The iPad, high end Samsung and Lenovo are very overpriced. The main reason to have a tablet is to have 10" or larger to suit comics, PDF, internet and video. A less than 10" tablet is too small for PDFs. A 6" eink dedicated ereader is better than any 7" tablet for ordinary ebooks.

I only use my 10" tablet for PDFs.
Make sure screen is at least HD resolution approximately, some cheap 10" and larger tablets are same as cheap 7" screens in number of dots, i.e. like cheap digital photo frames!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote