Thread: Book length
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Although I do give consideration to whether I'm prepared to invest the time in a very long book, it's not that the long length bothers be. If the book seems to be of interest to me, I really look forward to when I'll get the time to delve into it, with the expectation that a rich and complete immersive experience awaits me. ("The Stand" and "11/22/63" come to mind...maybe I need to add "The Dome" to my reading list.")

On the contrary, I'm put off by too-short novels. It makes me feel like I may get slighted in content. Not in sheer quantity, but in the fear that there isn't enough space to deliver a well-built world, deep plot twists, believable characters, adequate back-story and satisfying resolutions, etc.

Which is a little odd, because the short story is probably my favorite form of fiction.
I have different expectations and wants from a short story. A good short story should know it's a short story, and not be just a poorly-fleshed out novel attempt, or be a short story masquerading a novel.

Last edited by ApK; 11-08-2012 at 11:09 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote