View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
(X)HTML has sufficient RTL support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Note that the display order of the characters is something more complex than it seems. When I tried to have some Hebrew text inserted in a Latin-alphabet text, I concluded that one is expected to code the characters in the natural order of each language (reading order), and let the reading software handle the direction, don't use CSS or XHTML properties to specify the direction of a piece of text, unless you want to override the natural direction.
Since the (X)HMTL standard, which the ePUB and MOBI formats are partially based on, already has sufficient RTL support tags for every conceivable scenario, I don't think that ebook authors should be forced to use workarounds, just because Adobe forgot to correctly implement RTL support in ADE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
As far as I can see, the ePUB spec already requires right-to-left, it's just Adobe who does not support it, and that's one of the reasons why having Adobe dominate (practically monopolize) the ePUB readers is a bad thing.
I totally agree with you on that. Too bad that there's no fully ePUB compliant Open Source ePUB reader software for mobile devices.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote