View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #19
mav8rick
mav8rick began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
For me, I have tried so many, many pdf to epub readers that I despaired of trying one more. However, after reading the stuff on the internet, I decided to look up ABBYY FineReader and lo and behold, they actually have a direct pdf to epub converter called ABBYY PDF Converter.
After trying the trial (converts 100 pages max), I decided to plonk down the money for the full version.

End result; I think I converted > 40 books and ONLY one didn't convert properly. Most converted with graphics intact and > 30% had their TOC links done properly!

I regretted spending all that time with all those other pdf to epub converters; you name it, I'd have tried it (Calibre, EPUB Converter, Doremisoft, 3DPageFlip, Vibosoft, PDFMate, iStonsoft, Go4ePub - this is an online site...) and for some reason, a lot of them look suspiciously alike so either they had the same underlying product and they just customized the look and feel or some of them pirate it from a main source and spinned it off on their own.

The reason I gave ABBYY a chance is because they're a reputable OCR software vendor too so I figured if they can do OCR well, they surely can do something about the pesky PDF internal structure/markups.

I absolutely have no other business interest in ABBYY other than wonder why they didn't market this product well - if you guys are still vexing over the conversion, you'd take a look.
mav8rick is offline   Reply With Quote