View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #62
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony Reader....

1. Older eInk screesn with less contrast and less resolution,
2. Slow processor
3. Old versions of RMSDK
4. No hyphenation except for the T3
5. No front light
6. 600, 700, & 900 are awful

Given what you can get these days, $100 for a Sony Reader is not worth it. I know newer Readers can cost more, but you get a lot more.
I wouldn't pay $100 for an older machine, but they can still hold up very well in many respects.

As an example, for the PRS-505:

- integrated cover is attractive
- metal body
- multiple page turn buttons usable by either hand
- takes memory cards (though the file scanning is so slow you might run out of battery before finishing a large SD haha)
- has separate charging port
- audio support

This is really nice hardware, built back before they cost-reduced ereaders for mass consumption.

The screen was "good enough" for many people, so it might not be relevant that there are better screen available now. Heck, I remember saying on MR back in the day that the screen resolution was too low and there were too many ink particle flecks only for many posters to tell me they couldn't see the pixels let alone the flecks.

To me, the main drawback of the older machines isn't backlighting or screen, it's the lack of CPU power and RAM. Back then they barely had enough power to paginate, so God help you if you had large illustrations or big epub chapters. For reading plain old novels though, even older readers are mostly just fine.

I also have a T3 and it:

- can still buy books on device from a live book store
- has good contrast for its generation (since it didn't have a light guide of digitizer layer)
- has pretty good font rendering for publisher fonts
- page turn buttons!
- lighter and slimmer than any other 6 inch reader I've seen (maybe the original Kobo Aura is close)
- memory card support
- integrated cover flap if desired
- built in Overdrive support

Really, there is no disadvantage for me to reading on a T3 compared to the latest devices. It makes a great every day carry machine.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote