View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #3173
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
More than I'd like, less than some. Overall, fairly typical. Apparently, Mr. Weber never met an editor he couldn't overpower. If the book had been 20 hours instead of 30? I'd have given it 4 stars. If it hadn't had his typical overpowering and always succeeding (at great personal cost, of course) female protagonist, but rather a more balanced set of characters, it would have probably gotten 5 stars. But then, that would have meant someone else wrote it.
There are two versions of that particular book - Path of the Fury and In Fury Born. Path of the Fury was the original and about half the length. In Fury Born included a prequel and added stuff. I suspect that you would have enjoyed Path of the Fury a lot more. It was written fairly early in Weber's career (1992) and perhaps the third of Weber's books to be published. You might say that it was the version before he could overpower the editor.

I liked the additional material, but I can see where it might get a bit tedious in an audiobook.

Hum. I got the book via baen's websubscription. I can buy the audiobook for $29.39 or I can re-buy the kindle version for $6.99 and add the audiobook for another $7.49. So $29.39 or $14.48. Gosh, which to do which to do...

Last edited by pwalker8; 06-16-2021 at 05:23 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote