View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
TL;DR version: KA1 not taking a charge. Not seen by computer, either. I suspect the USB port is damaged. Can it be fixed?

My learning disabled daughter isn't always careful with her belongings. Recently, I posted about how her KA1 was stolen. After filing the police report and insurance claim, she found her KA1 at the side of her bed! That's life around here.

Unfortunately, days after finding her KA1, she complained it wouldn't take a charge. As far as I have been able to determine, no cables will connect. These same cables power my KA1 LE just fine. There is a hairline crack in the case just above the USB port. Since she had stripped the nubs off a USB cable last month, I'm thinking she was struggling to connect the cable into the unit again. I tried to firmware reset the device just in case it was a software issue, but the KA1 died halfway through. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My girl's KA1 is out of warranty, so sending it to Kobo doesn't seem an option. Obviously, buying a new unit is the final option. The KA1 has Overdrive support, which is key to her reading habits and independence. I wish the Clara HD had that support. (Actually, all Kobo devices and apps support Overdrive syncing & downloading, but you need a KA1 using the same account to enable it. Libby isn't enough.)

Aside from selling it for parts online, what suggestions do you more experienced Kobo users have for me? I've been searching the web for a teardown with pics, but none available for this model. Is the USB port something I can repair? What do you suggest?
That happened to me, too. My solution was to buy a new Aura One LE. Can't say that I was happy about that but I didn't have an alternative. I also had that happen to a Kindle Voyage as well, so it's not unique to Kobo. With Kindle, though, you can buy an extended warranty. Can't do that with Kobo.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote