View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #33
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
About the only criticism of the UI that I'd agree with is that it lacks graphical effects like shading/rounded corners/translucency etc on windows and OS X, which gives it a "outdated" appearance.
That is one that is valid, I think. I am entirely in favour of updating the UI to make it appear more "modern" in appearance, but I completely agree that it should not hinder functionality in any way. I love Calibre, and use it daily. Admittedly, I use no more than 25% of its functionality, but I can usually find the rest when/if I need it. And yes, I might choose a different set of icons, but again, that's a trivial change.

One thought that might answer some critics, and provide some folks with a chance to actually put their efforts where their mouths are, is to enable custom "skins". This could be as minimal as a set of icons, or get into other elements. Yes, it would require a fair amount of developmental effort to enable it, but would take the onus off for future UI changes.

(disclaimer: I am not a developer, and haven't looked at the Calibre source code. I have no idea how much work it would be to enable custom icons or skins.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote