View Single Post
Old 06-18-2022, 10:38 AM   #35
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
It seems Woolf was primarily a horrid snob, and a racist only secondarily. Eliot was of the monied classes, and I don't think "yanks" from that "great colony" were particularly opposed (though America was seen as a wild and often lawless place, which was true). Whereas Joyce was working class. The horror. He was also Irish, and the combination would certainly have qualified him as a "mick", a group universally biased against in all levels of English society.

Wasn't Woolf involved with Bloomsbury who were all banging each other? I supposed they were doing opium and coke too. Woohoo! Sadly none of this translated into books that I find tolerable.

Now, Eliot, that's another matter...it seems even the Americans are capable of great works, on occasion Mind you, Eliot saw the light and became a British citizen. I heard a recording of him reading poetry, and he demonstrated a polite British accent. Pound should have move to London.

Quote:
A crowd flowed over London Bridge, so many, I had not thought death had undone so many.
It took an American-born to sum up London commuting exactly.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 06-18-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote