View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
I use Instapaper in conjunction with my iPhone and my Sony 505.

For the iPhone, it's easy as pie. I have the Instapaper button (renamed IP) on my Firefox toolbar. I also have an equivalent in my iPhone Safari browser. I merely click (or select) IP and the text is reformatted and stored on the Instapaper web site, where I can access it with the IP app on my iPhone, or via a bookmark on my browser.

But here's where the fun begins: any item I've stored to IP and read gets moved automatically to an archive section. What remains unread I handle by outputting an ePub file from the IP website (just click a button.) I transfer that file to my 505 and bingo! it's portable and readable.

But wait! there's more. IP allows me to set up a "starred in Google Reader" folder. This separate folder allows me to peruse my RSS reader, and if I find an article that I want on my 505, I just star it. Then, at the end of the day, I go to IP, and do an ePub output on that folder.

If I cared to spend a little time doing my organization by hand, I could set up an "505 folder," and go through all my IP articles, easily transferring the ones I want on the 505 to that folder before hitting the ePub button.

The only thing I find annoying about the whole thing is that if I had a Kindle, I could skip the transfer process and allow IP to send the output file (not ePub, of course, but mobi) wirelessly to the Kindle.

In short, IP is a terrific ebook tool. About the only thing it doesn't do that I wish it did was pick up the comments as well as the articles. But Marcos, the guy who makes IP, told me that it would clog up his system or something, and hey, who am I to argue?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote