View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #19
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, I didn't express myself very well. You're right - ADE does do all the rendering. What I meant was that you don't have to pay Adobe their large fee if all you want is ePub rendering, because ePub is very easy to render, being HTML-based. The reason that a company licences ADE from Adobe is to be able to use DRM-protected books, which (other than B&N) all use Adobe's encryption technology.
1. EPUB is nontrivial to render well. DRM is certainly much simpler than EPUB rendering.

2. Amazon already has a license for Reader Mobile SDK which they use to render PDF: http://www.teleread.org/2009/05/06/k...y-to-speak-up/

3. B&N uses Adobe DRM as well, just a newer, lighter revision of it. That technology is being made available to other Reader Mobile SDK customers, so B&N books will not be locked to B&N devices only.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote