View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
I've got to agree about the problem of relying on metadata. My Palm displays the internal title-and that's all the 'metadata' I can see on it. I'm reading Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan series (19 books but most are collected in 'omnibus' volumes). In title order that's Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, Cordelia's Honor, Cryoburn, Miles Errant, Miles in Love, Miles Mutants and Microbes, Miles Mystery and Mayhem, and Young Miles. Nothing in that gives a clue as to the order in which they should be read so I had to print a 'cheat sheet' I carry in my wallet.

If my Palm showed the file names it'd be Vorkosigan1,9,17-Bujold-Miles Mutants Microbes; Vorkosigan2,3-Bujold-Cordelia's Honor; Vorkosigan4,5,6-Bujold-Young Miles; Vorkosigan7,8,9-Bujold-Miles Mystery Mayhem; Vorkosigan10,11,12-Bujold-Miles Errant; Vorkosigan14,15,16-Miles in Love; Vorkosigan18-Bujold-Captain Vorpatrils Alliance; Vorkosigan19-Bujold-Cryoburn. (I embedded the author's name because the Palm's reader doesn't support folders. I could probably leave it out since they're all in the Bujold folder on my PC but this helps me in my Palm's file manager.)

So for me I either need a reader that displays more metadata (most of which I would then need to enter) or one that displays the file names (most of which I've already changed-after all, how handy are file names like 03497183, which some of my ebooks originally had).

I'm phasing out the Palm in favor of an Android tablet so I'll probably use Calibre Companion for the metadata. The only problem with that is that Calibre messes up my very clean (and already done) folder & filename system. If I had Warren Buffet's money I'd have somebody write my own reader-but I don't so I'll compromise, unhappily.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote