View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by muydificil View Post
Hi,

As I had a kindle touch working, I used mfgtool on it in order to boot in diagnostics mode so I could check and compare with the bricked one I already had.

The thing is that the working one no longer works, and seems to be bricked also.

The steps I follow were:

-Start the kindle in recovery mode
-load diagnostics with Mfg tool
-from diagnostics menu start fastboot mode
-check the kindle with yifan lu fastboot only with reading commands. No flashing at all. only "fastbool getvar <varname>" and "fastboot check <partition>"
-disconnect usb

at this point the kindle didn't reboot in normal mode, so I started it up in recovery mode again and with the mfgtool started the kindle with the "kindle main" profile option.

and that's all, never came back to life again,

Is it possible that I could brick a working kindle touch only with the mfgtool program? 'cos it's the only program that has written into the device.
The profiles I provided with MfgTool do not change anything (not even the idme bootmode var). They just select in memory only what mode to boot, then continue the boot process.

The fastboot tool has some known problems, but it should not change anything on mmc (permanent storage) in your kindle unless you do a setvar instead of a getvar, or an erase, or a flash.

It is normal for the fastboot "check" functions to fail, because they check the ORIGINAL flash header CRC32, and partition contents CHANGE when you access the filesystem in them, which makes the partition flash header CRC32 no longer valid.

Beware that fastboot is not able to flash the mmcblk0p1 (main system) partition, which is too large (even when it falsely reports "success"). It can flash mmcblk0p2 (diags), and there is an image available with SSH preinstalled.

You can boot to fastboot to flash the SSH version of diags, then boot to diags to export the USB drive so you can copy stuff from it and write stuff to it, and you can start SSH so you can change stuff inside you kindle from the linux command line (such as writing a backup image file stored on the USB drive to /dev/mmcblk0p1, or copying /dev/zero to /dev/mmcblk0p3 to file a full or damaged /var/local partition (but that will also erase your collections database and user settings such as locale and timezone).

You did not describe doing anything that could damage a working kindle, other than putting it in a mode where the battery cannot charge effectively.

I suggest charging the battery as described in other posts (wall charger, then charge in fastboot mode until fully charged).

A kindle should normally be kept in "normal" main mode, where it will automatically go to screensaver power-save mode. A bricked kindle should be kept in fastboot mode, connected to a wall charger.

At least that is MY opinion (based on information gathered from the posts of others, and from my own personal experience).

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-04-2012 at 03:26 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote