View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Ios resources for readers: Beyond the reader apps

As we know, Ios devices are great at ebook reading. However , there are resources other than ereader apps. I want to start this thread to highlight resources beyond reader apps. I will mention two. One is a recommendation and one I want to raise questions about .
The first is Flipboard ( or more specifically, part of Flipboard). This award winning app presents various content in electronic magazine format. It's a brilliant, beautiful app that I use everyday. Recently Flipboard has added a section called "Readers" . "Readers" packages content from book review sections from many newspapers and magazines. Its got tons of suggestions about what to read and why.
The resource I have questions about is Storyville LINK.

From its Description:

Quote:
On a practical level, we will publish stories from new collections put out by dynamic and passionate independent presses, including Graywolf Press, Soft Skull Press, Akashic Books, Archipelago Books, and many more. And we will publish new work put out by the best established houses: Grove/Atlantic, Penguin, W.W. Norton, Random House, Scribners, and Simon and Schuster, and HarperCollins. We will publish your favorite writers of today and yesterday, and the emerging voices of tomorrow, and we’ll do all high style, and in the grand tradition, with a twist.

Some of the boldface names (the bolder, the better!) we will (or have) published: Anthony Doerr, Charles Baxter, Ben Greenman, Mavis Gallant, Joe Meno, Kate Bernheimer, Xiaoda Xiao, Belle Boggs, Yiyun Li, Patricia Engel, and many more.

A six-month subscription to Storyville costs $4.99 and you will receive:
o Twenty-plus stories, with a new story delivered each week
o An archive that will remain for the length of your subscription
o Stories by award-winning authors published by top independent and literary presses
o New stories, from singular voices, that are ours exclusively
o Unearthed gems by famous masters of the form, like D.H. Lawrence and Franz Kafka
o An easy to use interface with alerts and changeable settings
o Social media integration that will offer a chance to share your favorites with your friends
Questions:

* Has anyone tried it?
* Is it worth it?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote