Thread: Sad Sigil news?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #48
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I wonder how people created good EPUBs before Sigil... Just converting a Word document or exporting one through Writer mostly doesn't do it too well without extra cleaning.
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I simply did then, very much what we do now; I cleaned all the html in NoteTabPro. I use Sigil primarily as a finishing tool, as it saves making the NCX, the OPF, etc. And drag-and-drop for reordering sections, etc., is extremely handy and useful. I like the new reports function, and clips are nice, too (although, obviously, we have that in NTP). What Sigil does shouldn't be underestimated, though--it saves a ton of time in the NCX and OPF alone, if naught else.

n.b.: I also do a lot of fast pre-cleaning in Word, which then produces very clean code. Word produces ugly code when people use it poorly; once cleaned and with Styles used, you can take Word's output, remove the internal SS, and roll and go in HTML. If you export ad hoc-typed Word to HTML, then, yes, the clean-up is dreadful. But that's not Word's fault--that's the user's fault.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote