View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #29
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Still, I think it's kinda silly to regard the Internet as an essential service... there wouldn't be a negative impact upon quality of life if it disappeared tomorrow. Things would have to be done differently. But different is just that: different, not worse.
You could use that argument for a lot of things. Who's to say what's worse and what's just different?

I know that my life certainly would take a turn for the worse in a number of ways if the internet disappeared tomorrow.

The best example is probably the impact it would have on my professional life.

I run a small business which rely entirely on the internet. Without it, I couldn't make a living working from home. Getting another type of job would mean a daily commute, which I loathe, and it would mean buying a car, which would be very costly.

That loss in free time and money would very much mean a lessened quality of life for me. And I haven't even touched upon all the ways it would impact my personal lifestyle in a negative way.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote