View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #60
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
Finally, as to DRM... I think it has pretty unanimously been agreed that this is really a non-issue for several reasons: a) it's a choice you make to purchase DRM'd books as opposed to open-content (although this is the only way to purchase books through Connect), b) it's just a matter of time before the DRM is busted (RE: M$'s LIT format & $ony's inability to keep any platform truly locked down; i.e., just look at the PSP, it's a battle they've all but lost), and c) there are several tools you can use to put the content you want on the Reader, even converted to the Reader's native format.
So far as I know, .lit is the only e-book DRM that has been broken - and this is done by side-stepping the DRM rather than actually breaking it (PDF may be another example, but there are levels of PDF security and I don't think the highest levels have been broken). This has not seemed to have prevented publishers from using the .lit format, and it has probably increased sales of .lit books. I'm sure that all the existing e-book DRM schemes could be broken, but perhaps only by a huge effort that may not be forthcoming for a relatively small market segment. Note that most "breaks" of DRM are of the .lit kind, i.e. some defect in the total system rather than the actual encryption.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote