View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 06:02 AM   #33
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
This will hold true if you assume that
- the person's life is infinite
- the person is trying the get the best value possible by choosing only once in his life.
- the person does not discount the future utility
If any of these conditions are not true, your logic falls apart.
No, thats was exactly the paradox I pointed out.
Quote:
Think about a person who will buy whatever e-ink like device with 9+ inch screen and less than 700$.
Exactly what I said, I think we disagree only on the surface If your willingness to pay does not include 650€ for 8" the answer is obvious. (again assuming for a person where only screensize and price matters).

I do strongly disagree about the implied, that any near future new device will be better in all topics. Even if it would be out now, and the uncertainy factor 0, it would just be another device in the list, and one would have to weight out factors what is more/less important to him or her to decide which to buy. Its still uncertain if the Astok can scribble or not. If it can't it IMHO won't be exactly in the same market segment than the iLiad and would far more match to the Kindle, Sony, segment, where its price isn't exactly competitive, only the screen size an outstanding factor.

Quote:
Do you really think this person should wait forever or several years as you quoted? Given current market and technological evolution, if someone think so, I will doubt his sanity.
If a person reacts depressed, because 6 months later there is a better device out than the one he just bought, yes IMHO he should right now stay away from eReader market.

Quote:
When you shop grocery, do you buy the first item you see as long as the price is reasonable?
As sidemark, When I shop at the grocery I do NOT care about future items, I want my bread and milk today

Quote:
I consistently said that some people may be better off waiting depending on various factors.
I agree with you. Can I have the last word now please?

Last edited by axel77; 04-25-2008 at 06:04 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote