View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Kiari
Kiari began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook 3
File Converting and other ponderings

Hello!

I am from Canada... but more specifically, I am from Windsor, Ontario. I share airwaves with Detroit, Michigan... and my american family (specifically, my blind grandfather who is overjoyed with my book obsession) would like to get me a Kindle.

I will have to call and double check, but my initial inquiry to Amazon about credit cards said that my canadian card would work fine, as long as I used my american family's address as the billing/shipping address.

My biggest concern with the Kindle is pdf conversion. I've read that it does not support them natively, but that they can be converted to non-drmed Mobi files. Does anyone know if this indeed works?

A vast majority of the books that I read (English major here) are found in drm free mobis. I'm an avid book reader, and believe in supporting authors... but I've heard that purchased drm-mobis can be stripped of the drm with certain software, which would then be kindle-able. Any confirmation of this rumor would be appreciated :P I'm reading up on DRM to see what Canadian laws allow.

Is there anything else, oh knowledgable ones, that I should be considering?

I've never owned an ebook reader... but the ability to take notes in the margins, highlight passages, and search my books is tilting me strongly towards the kindle, however pissed I may be that they won't just ship the damn thing across the river.
Kiari is offline   Reply With Quote