Thread: iPad Which iPad is for you?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Question Which iPad is for you?

Just curious what models people are considering and why?

I know I want a 64G model, I keep waffling between with and without 3G.

I just got PM'ed the following and thought I'd share with everyone:

Quote:
What exactly is 3G and how is it different from wifi?
3g is the cellular wireless data network. like using a cell phone.

with wifi, you can use the ipad at home, starbucks, a hotel with wifi, etc. most places have wifi free these days. McDonalds started offering free wi-fi nationwide in the US as of jan 1 2010.

the 3g cellular network is the AT&T connection. you'd be able to use it anywhere you can get a cell phone signal, off in a park somewhere, the beach, driving down the highway. apple is charging $130 more for the necessary hardware for a cell signal. in the US it only works with AT&T who has offered two plans, a $15 a month (for 250megs of data transferred, which they say is fine for most people) or $30 a month for "unlimited" (which really isn't, it's a 5gig limit which is fine for 99.9% of people).

there will be no contract, unlike a cell phone, and you can sign up for one month and cancel the next. useful when you go on a vacation or or unexpected trip with no wifi available. you can sign up (and presumably cancel) right from the iPad itself, but only if you already have the 3G hardware, which is not something that can be added at a later time.

Last edited by scottjl; 02-13-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added 3g question
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote