View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I would not even give it another glance, and right know, I can't get rid of shrill music and flashing imagery in my head, because that's what I associate with Anime.
Come on. Give it a chance! It has so much more to offer.
There's the brooding loner on the motorcycle, the whiney emo-boy hero, the spikey haired kid with over-sized sword, the, uhm, "healthy" young lady in the school girl outfit...

Anime is very formalized with its own styles and approaches to (very subtly) discuss meaning themes. (Sometimes. Other times it's just about blowing things up. Like a Michael Bay movie. )

John Ringo and Travis Taylor did a fun riff on anime tropes in THE CLAWS THAT CATCH. Best part is when the series' nominal protagonist discovered he's not "the hero" and found out *who* had turned into the spikey-haired kid.

Like everything out there, there's good anime and there's attrocious anime. Sturgeon's Law applies to anime, too. For every Witch Hunter Robin or RahXephon there will be a dozen Lensmen disasters.

Not unlike western TV.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote