View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Depends. Depends. Depends.
Is the book billing itself as a gritty murder mystery? No.Way!
Is the book billing itself as a light-hearted action romp, rom-com, or zany fantasy?? Hail, yay-ahh!

Covers always tell you something about the book and the publisher and what kind of customer they are aimed at. An anime-style cover tells me they're aiming at folks that are familiar with manga and anime tropes and themes. And console gamers.

Just like this upcoming live action movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf-KCPFmc0o

Among all the anime cues in that trailer there is one dead-giveaway of the movie's genre credibility: the computer voice in the trailer is instantly recognizable to anybody exposed to current-generation video games.

Spoiler:

"There will be cake".
Spoiler:

Yup, PORTAL's GLADOS makes her movie debut.

Yeah, I'll be there on opening day.
They had me at GUILLERMO DEL TORO + Giant MECHA.

Anyway, covers are *marketing* tools.
Just like blurbs, back-cover text, and titles.
(And movie posters and trailers.)
Done right, they'll help the right customers find the right book; done wrong they'll annoy the browser and cost a sale.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-26-2013 at 05:28 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote