View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Spolle
Spolle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Hypertext and EPUB?

I consider writing some interactive stories. EPUB looks like a good platform.

However, the normal page turning is a problem. This means that if the users clumsy fingers misses the hyperlink text, he will instead go forward (or backward) one page. I could, of course, duplicate each page. This will cause the book to be twice as big, but would mean that "going forward" one page won't make any difference. However, this would be a bother to do manually, and I don't know any way to script it.

Is there any 'legal' way to expand the clickable area of a hyperlink beyond that of a simple text area? I know that I could do nasty hacks like put a <table> inside a <a>, but this not the kind of coding e-book readers will expect.

Is it possible to disable page turning by toying with content.opf or toc.ncx? So that the book thinks there is no next page, or that the next page is the same page?

Is it possible to avoid page breaks in certain areas of the text? (this is to avoid that the user misses a hyperlink option because it is on the next page.)

If anyone has any experience in using hypertext inside EPUB books, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for reading this far!
Spolle is offline   Reply With Quote