View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeva View Post
I'm trying to figure out if there is a method to use calibre as a client and server. Let me give you an example:

I have a large ebook library that I have installed with Calibre on a centralized server in my home. What I would like to do is open up Calibre on my laptop and browse the books on the centralized and import them into the library on my laptop.

I do know I can use the web page portion of the server to do this, but then I have to browse, download, import. I'm trying to get away from using the import process and using this method for all my computers in the house.

Ebooks seem to be one of the last steps to centralizing my media in this method. For audio I do this with itunes. For videos I use XBMC with a centralized SQL server. I'm really hoping there is something like this I can do for ebooks.

If this can't be done - what are some other ODS clients (other than stanza) that may work for me?
I am confused as to why you want to replicate your (central) library on each local machine? Sort of defeats the purpose of a central server .
Calibre is a hybrid of a DB and a file system. IIRC that was done that way for performance reasons.

The DB application places and keeps track of the file(s) associated with the metadata record. Currently, this is a User application and there is nothing to ensure that only one user affects the file system portion.

ex. User 2 changes the author name spelling just as User 1 is adding a new title file to that author
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote