View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
mwerle
Micha
mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeva View Post
I have a large ebook library that I have installed with Calibre on a centralized server in my home. What I would like to do is open up Calibre on my laptop and browse the books on the centralized and import them into the library on my laptop.
As long as you can mount the location of the centralised Calibre database on your laptop (Samba, NFS, Windows file sharing, whatever), this works fine.

Fire up Calibre on your laptop, create a new Library on the laptop if you haven't got one already, then open the existing Library on your server. You can now highlight one or more books, and send them to the Library on your laptop via a right-click.

There are two things to be careful about:
  1. Ensure all versions of Calibre which access the Library on the server are the same version. While a newer version won't cause problems (the Library will be automatically upgraded), an older one might.
  2. Only one device can access the central library on the server at a time, otherwise it can get corrupted.

I do this all the time While I do hope that Calibre will eventually have proper client-server support, this shared access to a central Library works ok.

Cheers,
- Micha.
mwerle is offline   Reply With Quote