View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
crimefan
crimefan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
This is a response to the last post.

Googling this, I'm thinking of two possibilities.

One possibility is that Richard Pryce is the same person as our D. Hugh Pryce (1864 - 1942):

Daisy Hugh Pryce

Richard Pryce 1864 - 1942

If that is the case, my hypothesis is that Pryce wrote more serious books, and plays, as Richard Pryce, and crime books as Daisy (or D) Hugh Pryce.

However, I'm not finding evidence that convinces me they are the same person. It may be that the origin of the link between the two names is an error by a small reprint publisher of public domain works, Black Heath Editions.

Things that would probably, or definitely, convince me they are the same author:

-- An obituary of one of the other noting they are the same person

-- Something from before the web era showing that D. Hugh Pryce, or Daisy Hugh Pryce, was born in 1864 and/or died in 1942. Those dates are given in many places across the web for Richard Pryce, but, as far as I can see, only in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library for D/Daisy Hugh Pryce.

-- Something from before the web era showing a list of books written by one of these authors where the same novel or play is shown on another list of books by the other author

-- Genealogical evidence that a person named Daisy Hugh Pryce was born in 1864 and/or died in 1942.

-- This is more difficult, but an analysis of authorial style might establish they are the same person.
Facsimiles of the original print editions (e.g. at archive.org) and the British Library catalogue, have Richard Pryce listed as the author. That isn't to say that this isn't a pseudonym, of course - but if there is an error here, I'd be inclined to suggest that the mistake is to ascribe the book to D. Hugh Pryce. Every other reliable source ascribes it to Richard Pryce...
crimefan is offline   Reply With Quote