Thread: Who Owns Ideas?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #42
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Well the nature of commerce does owe quite some allegiances to religion... Somewhere along the way this got robbed its religious content.
What happened was, the churches were perceived as having gotten "greedy," filling their own coffers while providing nothing to the public, and many steps were taken in developing democracy specifically to remove the church's power over the public and their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
I totally agree, for me is "thinking is handcraft", okay you sometimes have surprising ideas, that seem to come out of the nowhere, but as everyone will tell you, you need to systematically indulge into a topic, to come out with a result. The human as "meat processor" Thats however the opinion to the source of ideas that got contested and I felt to want to defend with a big wall of text.
Well, although I agree scientific method has its accomplishments, I still contend that a human being is capable of intuitive associations that cannot be accounted for by past experiences and direct input alone, and that no machine would be capable of duplicating. The essentially abstract nature of the human mind allows for the collection, cataloging and reordering of data in ways that are beyond mere facts and numbers. And it's specifically because no two minds are alike that said information is necessarily collected, cataloged and reordered differently in each mind, making possible a different conclusion from each mind.

It is the creation of art that demonstrates this better than any other human ability: Taking a desire, such as a desire to impress upon a viewer the significance of an emotion, and creating an original work of art such as Munch's "The Scream." The use of color, the draft of the illustration, the caricature of expression, are all elements that cannot be "computed" from previous inputs. Nor could any machine make the judgments in design and execution that resulted in Munch's final painting.

No machine would have put fins on a '57 Chevy. No machine could have created "Citizen Kane." That is the proof that humans are more than "meat calculators."
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote