View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #44
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
When I was trying to answer this question earlier, I turned around to see what was on my bookshelves. Then realised that's not going to work any more. Most of my books are now invisible.
That's exactly the problem with ebooks versus pbooks. I was lamenting recently how I can sit in my library, have my eyes roam across the spines of hundreds of books I have purchased and read and recall whether I enjoyed them, hated them, whatever, but with my ebooks -- out of sight, out of mind.

I think this is a major problem with ebooks. Usually, I read an ebook and when done, I delete it. I see no sense in keeping it "handy" because I am not going to reread it, especially with a TBR pile as large as mine.

And this problem bothered me enough that I have speculated on my blog about whether ebooks will be the demise of authorial greatness. I think that a significant part of an author's enahnced reputation comes about from readers seeing the author's name and book on a library shelf. When I bring visitors into my library, they scan the books and often reach for a book or two to take off the shelf and read the dust jacket and perhaps open. I've not been anywhere where someone wants to do the same (or does the same) with ebooks.

For any who are interested in my blog post on authorial greatness, here is the link: Are eBooks the Death Knell of Authorial Greatness?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote