View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #31
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series, which begins with The Dragonbone Chair is great epic fantasy. Definitely the farmboy (kitchen boy in this case) becomes hero monomyth formula. Which isn't to say it's formulaic...

Barry Hughart's The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, which begins with Bridge of Birds is wonderful. Set in "an ancient China that never was", this trilogy (each book is stand-alone) is a cross between epic fantasy, detective story, mystery, and humour. The first book is truly exceptional, the next two aren't nearly as good as the first... they're merely great.

Guy Gavriel Kay's works are excellent (except Ysabel), one of the best fantasy writers in my opinion. However, I wouldn't say his novels are epic fantasy. Historical fantasy would probably be a better categorization. Wonderful books, nevertheless (except Ysabel). Tigana and A Song for Arbonne are probably my favourites, followed closely by Last Light of the Sun and Under Heaven.

Last edited by AndrewH; 03-03-2013 at 04:38 PM.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote