View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
On Kindles and Kindle apps you should be able to circumvent embedded fonts by turning publisher fonts OFF. Unfortunately that doesn't always work and it is inconsistent across various devices.
On a first gen Kindle Fire, the Kindle app has no font off ability. I don't know what it does with a KF8 with embedded fonts. Kindle for PC is poor as well in terms of fonts.

Quote:
[RANT]As far as eBook formatting goes, I'm convinced that most people hired to do that don't know their backside from a hole in ground! Most eBooks are formatted as though they are print books. You can just look at all the stupid questions we get on this forum about formatting from people who claim they are trying to format eBooks for clients. Hell, if they don't know what the eff they are doing then why we're they even hired?!? IMO they need to stay away from embedded fonts, learn CSS and HTML, learn how to format images for eBooks, or get the hell out of the publications business. [/RANT]
Most are NOT formatted as if they were print books. I've not seen print books with things like...inconsistent font sizes, huge margins, large indents, paragraph spaces, left justified, a large portion of the screen taken up with spacing around the chapter title, fonts that are not suited for a screen and textual errors not in the original text (there are probably more things they botch).

Yes, we do get our fair share of people who come here without a clue and ask us how to do their job for them. Why the "boss" wants to give this person the job when that person hasn't a clue is a mystery. Once I find out that the person is getting paid for this, I stop helping as I'm not getting paid and the person didn't bother to tell us up front how clueless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote