View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Actually, you don't need a custom ROM. Just a custom kernel. And we should have all the information we need to do this.
So you could:

a) Wait for Kobo to enable the GPU, then enable CPU scaling - and just overclock away.

b) Make your own kernel (there are good reasons Kobo explicitly disabled CPU scaling, mind you). Get the configuration from you Kobo at /proc/config.gz, find out what you need to enable in the kernel (asking the guys from SetCPU might be a good idea), get the kernel sources from Freescale, modify the configuration and start cross-compiling. Once you have the kernel, you just need to copy it to a certain location on the internal SD card that you took out of the Kobo, put the SD card back into the Kobo, power on and hope it starts. If something went wrong, you have of course the bytecopy stored on your computer that you can copy back on the SD card again.
Try to find out why, rinse, repeat.

All these steps are perfectly well documented - search terms like 'linux compile kernel' will come up with huge documentation on what you're about to do. A little trickier will be 'cross-compile kernel arm', but you'll manage. Freescale is self-explanatory, they have a great website.
The location where to copy the kernel is known and inside the hacking thread - reading the 6 pages of the thread might be worth the time, since there is a lot of interesting information.
If you don't like flash videos of flying cats, people who nag without wanting to contribute without anything, or people who absolutely don't tell you what they do during their 'incredible hacking progress' try to exclude 'xda' from your searches.

It's a great way to pass your weekend!
You also might find it interesting that there is a large amount of cheap Chinese tablets that ships exactly our processor, the imx515, on 1.2GHz. So that seems to be a reasonable clock rate.
Yes, in my experience with the imx515, 1.0Ghz runs very well ans 1.2Ghz runs (but maybe a little less stable?).

A custom ROM that works with an apk like ROM manager is still my ultimate goal. It makes it easy for average users to install and makes for easier backup, recovery, etc.

That said, I've been working almost exclusively on the kernel as of late. However, I'm holding off a little while waiting for sources and the first beta firmware.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote