View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
As for my views on copyright see thread 17938 "interesting NYT article on 'copyright morality' " post 252. That's easier that my rehashing it here.
Ah, so... you're one of the people waiting for anarchy to set in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Do I see different length copyright laws as an impediment to the digital economy. No. The only people who think it is are governments (and their legal servants.), and those people with a vested interest in the status quo (pre-digital age).
And people who hope to make a profit off of their work, intellectual or otherwise, in whatever system there is. As copyright laws are essentially designed to guarantee at least some minimal amount of profit for the creator, I see a copyright system as a useful commodity, encouraging people to do creative work that, due to unprofitability, they otherwise would not do.

(I'd also suggest that, if no one is getting paid for digital content, well, you don't really have a digital economy anymore. But anyway...)

Setting aside that you ultimately don't believe in the copyright system... do you not believe that a unified copyright system would at least encourage international commerce that is presently hindered by the existing systems?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote