View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #141
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
I think the reason is because the reader has to work harder to suspend disbelief. In other words, I can read a literary novel and believe that everything in there has happened to somebody, somewhere, even if the particulars never all actually happened to one person. But I can't believe somebody used an invisible energy wave summoned by their mind to move a starfighter out of a bog, nor do I believe that somebody created a ring that made the wearer invisible.

Now, those who can suspend disbelief and accept the new rules of a fantasy novel (and even get enjoyment out of knowing and understanding those rules) have no issues enjoying fantasy, but that is not the masses.
Hmm. Interesting. I have no problem suspending disbelief. I'm reading a book (or watching a movie), and it plays in an other world than ours. Other world, other rules, peoples, physics and even with magic. Often, it's like the middle ages, but with the superstitions of that time (wizards, magic....) made real. Fine with me

I read that stuff because I *want* to have to suspend disbelief.

If you can't do that, then you lack imagination. IMHO, of course. (It's something else if you can, but don't *want* to.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote