View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #61
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Any electronic equipment that does not include moving parts (typical e-readers) rarely fail unless you drop them, put them into water or use them at extreme temperatures.

I never ever broke such a thing. Extended warranty would be a total waste for me.
really? No moving parts? wow you have a magic telepathically operated reading device? Ever hear of the button? Power port (very common point of failure in devices)? USB port?

The memory used has a limited lifespan though it should out live most other parts of the device, still the memory used is limited in write/deletes. Plus as mentioned earlier in the thread there was and still seems to be a run of bad capacitors and a couple other seemingly insignificant components which are actually so bad that the mfg costs of a lot of products are expected to increase because of the lower availibility of these components for a not insignificant period of time. And these are nothing new to the computer industry...but in general QA/QC has declined seemingly at a rate which corresponds to Moore's Law...to me that is the definition of irony, more powerful but increaslingly poor build quality when devices are looked at as a whole not specific products as there are always some which are vastly superior in that area.

I agree with the OP...if it makes sense, buy the warranty. A few years back I bought my Mom an LCD 42" TV because of her declining eyesight. It was a nice Samsung and as she was in convalescent care I knew it was not going to be treated properly AND it was going to be running almost 24/7/365. I bought the Walmart 3-year warranty since the TV cost me over a grand...the warranty was something unreal cheap, $70 or $80 for an ADDED 3-years in addition to the one-year warranty and repairs were on-site under the extended coverage or full refund. So it failed, they sent a tech with both parts, honestly there are only two boards in the danged thing and now I know I could repair it no problem...but it was money well spent and her TV gave her a lot of joy her last few years because she could actually see her much loved Laker games again. And for me, this was a HUGE outlay of cash at the time and now would be impossible thanks to my own med bills this year. Luckily I can fix my own gear so I get by most of the time...but 99% of people out there can't change a lightbulb without a consultant so if the cost of repair or replacement is a hardship get the Squaretrade warranty and have the peace of mind you can actually enjoy the device.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote