View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
“I have a prejudice against people who print things in a foreign language and add no translation. When I am the reader, and the author considers me able to do the translating myself, he pays me quite a nice compliment – but if he would do the translating for me I would try to get along without the compliment.”
In the Penguin translations of À la recherche du temps perdu, the American edition translates any direct quotations (from French writers, usually) and puts the original in a note at the back of the book. The British edition gives us the quotation in the original language (French, almost always) and puts the TRANSLATION in a note at the back of the book. I often wondered why the British editors thought I could read Mellarme or Racine in the original, given that I had chosen to read Proust in translation.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote