View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #681
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippopelo View Post
JSWolf,

I'm not english, I'm italian, can you explain me the differences between Charis SIL modified, compact and smallcap?

Thank's in advance.
In typography, small capitals (usually abbreviated small caps) are uppercase (capital) characters set at the same height and weight as surrounding lowercase (small) letters or text figures. They are used in running text to prevent capitalized words from appearing too large on the page, and as a method of emphasis or distinctiveness for text alongside or instead of italics, or when boldface is inappropriate.

The difference between Modified and Compact is the line space in KF8 (with eInk Kindles). The Compact gives a tighter line space when used with KF8. Modified give a less tight line space, but still tighter then any of the default fonts. You get the lines closer together with Compact. Some may prefer the tighter space or can go with the looser line space aka Modified. Which you choose is up to you. As for Mobi, Modified and Compact are the same.

Line spacing is the space between the lines of text in a paragraph.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote