View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Baen haven't entirely cut out the middle man. Arnold Bailey who runs webscriptions isn't a staff member of Baen, but his own boss.

So I'm sure Baen pay a cut to the retailer, Arnold, but I'm sure it's a lot less than the 65% that Amazon take from small publishers!
This is true. But Arnold also takes on more of the expenses for the e-Publishing than do Amazon or Fictionwise or... Specifically, he bears the full cost of converting from whatever format the publisher provides.* And the cost of scan-and-proof work on old titles. And a variety of other things that were not specified in the posts I recall from Baen's Bar. In this sense, he's more like a corporate partner than like a distributor.

*He can influence the format, but doesn't control it. And he does a good deal more prep-work than the other e-Book places. All of this is because Webscriptions got started under the "no new work for Jim" (Baen, that is) approach. That means it's a little hard to disentangle the distributor part of the picture from the e-publishing partner part.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote