View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #40
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I prefer the flexibility of being able to build my own computer to fit my needs having the ability to upgrade it without buying a completely new computer. And like it or not, if Apple had to rely only on it's computer business it would be struggling and or out of business. My point is that they look to be using the same business model with their current business model and if so they may find Google and others may capture the majority of the market share. I am talking survivability here not the merits of one company's hardware over another.
Apache
I, for one, hear you.
But I don't think that Apple's survivability is at stake anytime soon; with $100 billion-plus in cash reserves Apple could survive outright losses for a decade and still endure, ala Sony, stumbling from one disaster to another without any real risk to their existence. That is one R-I-C-H company.

What is at risk, though, is Apple's dominance of the consumer gadget space.
For the last decade, they have been the thousand pound gorilla of the electronics industry and their design language and product definitions have been the model for most of the me-too asian vendors. They have successfully identified and exploited the most profitable niches and steamrollered even the best designed competitor products that didn't follow their lead.

That won't last. It never does.
And at some point their declining share of a growing market will become a declining share of a mature market and if they haven't identified new growth opportunities by then, their *relevance* will be at risk.

But not their survivability. Not with their bank account. That will take a decade of screwups and rudderless management. Again: look at Sony, they're still crawling...