View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
Get yourself some Martin Cruz Smith novels, and quickly. He's famous for Gorky Park, the first of seven novels featuring a Russian militia investigator. The last two are not very good, but I highly recommend Gorky Park, Havana Bay, and Wolves Eat Dogs. He also wrote a great historical mystery called Rose, which is set in a coal-mining village in 19th-century England.
If you don't mind slipping into espionage (seeing as you're already reading Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum), I highly recommend the Grandmaster of Espionage himself, John le Carré. Of his works, I recommend Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Honourable Schoolboy, Smiley's People (read those 3 in that order), The Little Drummer Girl, The Russia House, The Night Manager, Our Game, The Tailor of Panama, The Constant Gardener, The Mission Song, and Our Kind of Traitor.

All of the ones I've listed tend to be a little on the literary side. Don't be alarmed, none of them neglect plot, they just put more emphasis on language, character, and themes than what the run-of-the-mill thriller writer does.

Good take there by SlowRain,

Also by Martin Cruz Smith is one titled December 6. It's similar to Casablanca but set in Japan right before Pearl Harbor with an American nightclub owner caught between two worlds. I thought it was great. Also, I have to mention Alan Furst's books for more literary, espionage-flavored mysteries. His plots aren't always cooking on high but he makes up for it (for me) with the characters and period detail.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote