View Single Post
Old 07-16-2021, 09:01 PM   #95
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
pdurrant, I found Gwendolen believable enough, given the very limited options women had in those days. I'm only surprised that she didn't actually push Grandcourt overboard! But of course I am being facetious - he was exercising what these days we call coercive control and had her in fear of him.

What was hard to believe in, as poohbear says, was the supposed relationship between her and Daniel. He was a young man in his mid 20s or so as I recall, a few years older than Gwendolen to be sure, but he was advising her on how to live her life as if he was a wise elder in his 60s. I suppose he was such a paragon that he was wise beyond his years!

I suppose we can all feel virtuous for having read it anyway.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote