View Single Post
Old 07-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #92
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Is there still anybody out there? I have recently finished, and wondered how many others have done so. Are we going to discuss the book, or have people moved on to other things?

Like others, I found Gwendolen far more interesting than Daniel. I couldn't like her, at least in the beginning, but her very flaws made her interesting, and her grim situation in being married to Grandcourt was something I wanted to see resolved for her.

Daniel seemed to be so handsome, good, kind, intelligent, caring, etc etc that he wasn't a real person at all. I understand why Eliot made him such a paragon, but for me he was rather boring. His mother, though we see only a little of her, was far more interesting.

I didn't think the book came anywhere near to Middlemarch, which was chock full of interesting characters.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote