View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #36
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Good luck, guys!

(I, for one, was born with a short story mindset. I've got some ideas, but no novel length ones!)
And best of luck to you too!

As for mindsets, I know I'm novelist material. I tend to think slow and I tend to think big. As in, I start thinking of a situation and end up with a pretty complicated universe.
A Russian writer once said that short stories are harder and take longer to master than novels. Maybe not for everyone, but I know what he means. It's like the difference between a movie and a photograph. You can have a movie that consists of moderately pretty or even merely adequate images but still tells a good story. But for a photograph to be good, that single image has to be special. And learning to see those special images might take time for us misty-minded novelists
Anyway, I'm not sure it's against the NaNo rules to write a few short stories instead of a novel. You might even pretend you're writing a cycle And/or put your stories in the same universe (if that makes any sense for your ideas).
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote