View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
2. Problem: got the "locked" message trying to open the book. Hm. Tried using the linux version of the Kobo Desktop.
I'd guess that this is directly caused by #1. You need to authorize your Kobo using ADE before it will open any DRM wrapped books. Figure out why the Linux ADE version isn't detecting the Kobo and fix it so you can authorize the device. Alternatively, boot into a windows PC and authorize your Kobo (only need to do it once).

Quote:
3. Problem: Kobo desktop doesn't show all the books on my Kobo, only 5 free books. Tried a sync, nothing changed. Managed to get hold of a windows computer, installed ADE and finally managed to unlock the purchased book
The Desktop app will not show any of the 100 free books included with the Kobo, any books loaded on it through ADE, or any regular epubs loaded through Calibre or a file manager. The app is only for loading on purchased books from Kobo that you added to 'Your Library' through their website. (We all see those 5 'sample' public domain books, all of which are already included in the 100 free books I think. I'd guess they are just there so its not a blank screen)

Quote:
Problem: after all this, my "I'm reading" section is now empty (except for the new book), which also means all my bookmarks are gone. Oh joy, I now have to manually find and navigate to the pages in the books I was reading. Not a short task with the time it takes to turn pages.
Yes, this is a known bug. Every time you 'SYNC' with the desktop app, it resets the status of all books. This is the main reason I avoid the app like the plague.

Quote:
On a side note, I tried finding out how to strip the DRM from the book I bought so I could easily transfer it with calibre but no luck so far.
Google 'Removing Adobe ADEPT DRM'

Last edited by Stinger; 06-19-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote